The September 2019 issue is out now!
On sale August 16 to September 13
How to get a copy:
- Single-issue mail order (free postage!)
- By subscription
- Download the digital version to your tablet or smartphone and start reading straight away
- Buy it in shops – available across the UK
This issue of The Great Outdoors is all about finding your own space and discovering inspiration, excitement and beauty in the natural world – even in unlikely places.
- Escape the summer crowds in the Lake District;
- Go wild camping in a lesser-trodden corner of the Scottish Highlands;
- Explorethe temperate rainforests of Snowdonia;
- Discover Somerset’s bucolic Limestone Link trail;
- Find surprising wildness and natural beauty in Hong Kong;
- Find out which are the best sleeping bags on the market
And much more inside!
PLUS: SCANDINAVIA OUTDOORS SPECIAL
What’s more, this issue comes bundled with Scandinavia Outdoors – a free guide to Europe’s wild north filled with spectacular islands, plunging fjords, unreal Arctic landscapes, and wildlife-filled boreal wildernesses.
Whether you’re looking for long-distance treks or family-friendly experiences, we give you the lowdown on where to go and how to do it, encompassing Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Faroe Islands.
A peek inside the issue…
Lake District: Carey Davies rounds up the quiet refuges, forgotten fells and secret mountain sanctuaries where you can easily escape the crowds – even in high summer
North West Highlands: David Lintern experiences jaw-dropping sunsets and resounding peace in the lesser-trodden hills of the Coulin Forest
Snowdonia: Sarah Stirling delves inside the wild woods of Wales to discover the fascinating life of our Celtic rainforests
Somerset: Patrick Kinsella walks a little-known trail through the limestone landscapes of the West Country
Hong Kong: Max Landsberg discovers a wonderfully surprising world of natural beauty above the high-rises.
Sleeping bags: Chris Townsend takes 10 sleeping bags, puts them through their paces, and gives his detailed verdict on the best
- New Editor Carey Davies takes the wheel
- Hanna Lindon looks at controversies in the world of mountain guiding
- Roger Smith looks at the flygskam (‘flight-shaming’) movement
- An Interview with Doug Allan of Planet Earth and Frozen Planet
- Chiara Bullen rounds up Britain’s best waterfall walks
- 11 mapped walks from the Shetlands to the south of England
INSIDE THE SCANDINAVIA SUPPLEMENT
Wilderness: Where to go to find vast, wildlife-filled natural landscapes in Norway, Sweden and Finlan
The Kjeragbolten: Heading to the fjords to stand on ‘that’ rock
Islands: The region’s most fascinating islands: far-flung Baltic Isles, surf beaches in Lofoten, and polar
bear refuges high in the Arctic
Beginners: Top 10 destinations for newbies, including the Kungsleden trail and the mountainous Hardangervidda plateau
The Sámi: Discovering the indigenous culture of northern Europe
Much more inside!