Walk from Keswick to the summit of Skiddaw via Glenderaterra Beck. A route with stunning views of Blencathra and the whole of Derwentwater
Start/Finish: Keswick Youth Hostel
- Turn L out of hostel and go over bridge following road R around hotel. Take the footpath on R edge of road and join the Cumbria Way, continuing with it straight uphill. When the path splits after a bend, keep on L track, crossing a stream and continuing along a fence and felled woodland on L.
- At car park head R to gate, cross and turn L uphill. At next gate head diagonally through the field following arrow for Cumbria Way. Cross beck and walk around edge of hill round to Glenderaterra Beck to then head up through the valley.
- Continue for roughly 3km to the youth hostel on the plateau. Follow wall behind it and turn R to head W and directly uphill to Sale How. Go straight over it and up to the ridge top. Turn R to stile, cross and head uphill. Continue straight along the soon flat hilltop until trig point. When reached, turn back and retrace steps back to stile. Cross and follow ridge top to the next stile.
- Follow the path downhill for around 2km back to the car park and retrace the same route back down to Keswick.
- Distance: 20km/12 1/2 miles
- Time: 6 hours
- Ascent: 850m/2788ft
- Maps: OS 1:25,000 Explorer sheet OL4; Harevy;s 1:40,000 British Mountain Map (Lake District)
- Transport: Keswick is a short bus ride from Penrith train station on the X4 and X5 buses